An 11-year-old girl’s report last week that a man tried to cut off her hijab as she walked to school didn’t occur, Toronto police said Monday.
“After a detailed investigation, police have determined that the events described in the original news release did not happen,” police said.
The non-event is actually a big deal:
The girl reported Friday that a man attempted twice to cut off her hijab as she walked to school with her younger brother. Police said last week that the alleged attack was being investigated as a possible hate crime.
CBC News is not naming the 11-year-old out of a concern for her interests.
The girl, along with her mother and representatives from the Toronto District School Board, spoke to reporters inside her school Friday after she had talked to police.
Her story captured national attention, and drew public condemnation from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Toronto Mayor John Tory.
Police spokesperson Mark Pugash asserts that a bogus allegation drawing national coverage is no big deal:
Pugash said police don’t know how the story escalated. He stressed it’s “quite rare” for someone to make false allegations of this type, and said he hopes it will not discourage others from coming forward.
Canada looks to be fucked.